This free HTML programming and Web site design tutorial will provide you with all the information you require to create an exciting Web Page or Web site design, suitable for both the complete beginner and more advanced website creator. This free HTML tutorial will show you how to use HTML tags
Students of courses such as T183 & ex students of the discontinued courses T171,T170 and TT280 of the Open University ( OU ), will find many of the pages of great interest.
The OU does not go into much detail about the actual hypertext markup language code required, in course T183, the code is produced in the background by the KompoZer web editor. If you wish to create something more than a simple web page or site, then learning the actual code is essential.
Even if you are using the best Web Site Editor - Dreamweaver, you still need to learn the code.
During this tutorial You will learn
- How to program HTML elements, HTML tags & Cascading Style Sheets, CSS
- The applications you require, to do this, to view these pages, to upload the web page, or web site to a Web host.
- All about domain names & how to obtain a domain name
- Learn to improve the design and looks of a page with graphics.
- Simple and advanced techniques in using search engines.
- Page submitting and site promotion with search engines.
- Learn about web site hosting and other services that a webmaster requires.
- You will find an index to the site below, with a few details of each tutorial or information subject. You can link to these pages, or a specific subject from the Links below, or you can use the Tutorial and Information links in the left panel. This panel appears on all pages.
I hope that you find this free site useful. Please bear in mind that this site does cost money with web hosting and other overhead costs. These costs are partially offset by by sponsorship and advertising of products that are useful to students. Please help us to help you.
If you find the site useful, please
- Make your book, software, and web service purchases from this web site.
- spread the word to your fellow pupils, colleagues and friends.
- Place a link on your web page to us- See Link to us
|1. Required Programs||
The required applications: Editors. Browsers. FTP, Graphic. Check if a Domain name is available
|2. First Web Page||
An introduction into programming to create a
simple web page:
|3. Page Appearance||
Changing the Page Appearance, using the main heading H1 & sub headings H2, H3, H4, H5, H6
Learn to use colour on your pages. RGB Colour System, Colour Names. Web page Safe colours.
|4a. Colour Names List||
List of Colour Names.
Learn to use tables to arrange tabular text and graphic images on
For years tables have been used to design web pages. Now Cascading Style Sheets CSS are used to design the page layout. And tables used to display tabular data.
Graphics are used both for a pages design and also as page content. Graphics can be either images or photographs
How to link to other pages, other sites, to anchors on the same page or to anchors another page.
How to use frames. Frames are not required in Open University courses T171,T170 and TT280.
Frames allow the user to scroll sections of a page.
They are slightly harder to achieve than a standard HTML page and not covered in this tutorial.
|10. Uploading to the Web||
You will learn how to get the files on your hard disk, known as the local site, to your Web site on a Web hosting service server.
Cascading Style sheets
How to Style and colour your page(s)
|14. Site Promotion||
Search engine optimization SEO, the art of obtaining a good ranking in the search engines
|15 Site Design||
|99. Web Terminology||Jargon Buster|
The Site also lists a vast amount of useful Information that can be found in the Main menu under the Software, Books & Miscellaneous headings